Wednesday, September 14, 2011

ginger cookies

I started to get anxious closer and closer to my due date.... the date came and gone and I was still having my little one inside. Well, in fact, I AM still having him inside me today...

So, I did a bit of searching online and came across a few recommendation on natural ways to induce labour. Some of them are really 'out' for me e.g. drinking castor oil. But one of them that seems promising is this recipe - Jump Start Your Labor Cookies. If it doesn't work, at least I still get something nice to eat. So here goes:


Labour Inducing Ginger Cookies

2 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves (I omitted)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cayenne pepper (I replaced with red paprika)
8 tbsp butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar (I cut down to half)
1/3 cup molases (I used black molases)
1/4 cup egg whites (equal to 2 egg whites)

1. Preheat oven at 165 degree C
2. Combine flour, soda, spices and set aside.
3. Cream butter & sugar. Add molasses, then egg whites to creamed butter, mix until combined.
4. Add dry ingredients slowly.
5. Once incorporated, roll dough into 1 inch ball and place onto baking tray.
5. Bake for 8-10 mins.

I also grated a small amount of fresh ginger (about 2 tsp) and added that with its juices (another 2 tsp) into the recipe. Maybe because of the juices, the dough was a bit runny, so I used a spoon to scoop the dough onto the tray instead. I also baked the cookies slightly longer than stated, approx 15 mins.


The cookies were delicious, though slightly on the sweet side even though I already halved the brown sugar. They were crunchy on the edges but slightly on the chewy side in the middle. They turned slightly soft the next day but a toast in the toaster is all it takes to 'perk' the edges back to crunchy state.

I finished the last 3 cookies from the batch this morning and... surprise, surprise... I did start to experience some mild lower abdominal tightening since afternoon, but they are not of very regular intervals and being my 1st pregnancy, I am really not so sure whether it is early labour contraction that I am experiencing or otherwise. I am keeping my fingers crossed...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...