Egg Yolk Sponge Cake
3 egg yolks (I used room temperature eggs)
1. Mix sugar to egg yolks and beat until it turned white
2. Pour in approx. 35g milk and mix lightly
3. Sift in flour and mix well
4. Pour in remaining milk and mix lightly again
4. Pour into pan/mold and put into oven preheated at 180 degree C for approx. 20 mins, or til toothpicks came out clean.
I decided to use the teddy bear mold again since sponge cake brings back childhood memory for me. There was some leftover portion after filling the teddy bear mold, hence I pour the remaining batter into 2 more cupcake paper molds.
The sponge cakes were full of egg fragrant, tasty, firm yet have a slight fluffiness in them. Best of all, they have a slightly crunchy exterior, which I like.
I read in a recipe book before that sponge cake does not keep well and should be served/consumed on the day it was made. We didn't finish them all at one go, so I had them for breakfast the next day. True enough, the cakes turned slightly flat but it was quickly resolved by heating them up in the toaster for 5 mins. This mere act kind of 'revived' the cakes and they regained the crunchy on the exterior yet firm/fluffy on the interior texture and they were just as tasty as the day before.